An overview on Data Source Listscreen
After reading this article you will know:
- What is a data source listscreen and its use
- Data Actions & List Permissions
- How to create a data source listscreen
Refer to these videos to get an visual understanding on the data source listscreen.
Part 1: Data source creation
Part 2: Data Actions
Part 3: Business Rules & List Permissions
How to create a data source listscreen?
- On dashboard, click Admin Menu > Data base > +Create Data Source.
- Provide a valid Data Source Name in the Data Source Name text box, and select the type as Listscreen.
- Click on the Allow Grouping switch, if you want to group the data into different sections according to the selected data column in the list screen.
- Click on the Next button.
- The page redirects to the data source builder collections page.
- Select the workspaces from Select Workspaces drop-down, to populate the apps or Data Tables belonging to that workspace.
- Click on the Data From drop-down and select an option from the list i.e., Data Table/app/both from which you need to get the data.
- Select an option as per your requirement, and the fields add related to the selected option in the selected collections section.
- Add Join conditions and Where conditions as per your requirement.
- Click on the Next button.
- The page redirects to the Data Source Business Rule Page.
- For List Screen, Data Source Business Rules has four sections.
- Static Columns
- Business Rules
- Data Source Actions
- List Permissions
The main purpose of the Static Column is to add some extra elements (Fields) in Data sources instead of getting the element from the application; you can create an element in the data source itself and set that element through business rules.
- The Static Columns displays Name, Type and Value fields.
- In the Name field, Enter the Name (Name can be label names or Field names).
- The Type field displays the following elements
- Text Box
- Phone Number
- Drop Down
- Date Time
- In the Value field, define a Value for that particular element.
- Enter the Name, select the Type, and define the Value (Not mandatory), and click on the + icon to add multiple Static Columns.
- You can choose the Type from the Dropdown.
- Add the Business Rules based on your requirement.
As you are aware, the data source listscreen is an actionable report that allows you to conduct actions on its records. We employ Data Actions to configure these activities.
- Give a Name to the action (E.g. Add Record, Open Report etc)
- Next, select an Action, refer to the different type of actions given below that you can perform on a record.
- Open Add Record: This option will allow you to open an app in add record mode.
- Open Data table Record: This option will allow you to open a data table to add a record in it.
- Open Data table multiple records: This option will allow you to open a data table to add multiple records in it.
- Print: This option will allow you to take a print of the record.
- Open Report: This option will allow you to attach a report to the list screen record.
- Open List Screen: This option allows you to attach a listscreen to a record in the listscreen.
- Open App as Report: This option allows you to open an app along with data like a report. You can see the data but will not be able to take any action.
Let us discuss about one these action options and you can follow the same process to configure the rest:
Open Add Record: Use this option to open an app in add record mode to submit a record in it.
- Select the Open App Record option from the Select Action drop-down.
- Select an option from the Select Open In drop-down to define where and how the app should open.
- Select an option from the Select Option View, to see the action in an Icon, Link, or Button form.
- Select the Workspace, and then select an app listed in the Select Reference drop-down.
- After selecting the element, Select Source Element and Select Reference Element will display on the page.
- Click on the Save button.
The main purpose of the List Permissions is to define access to the elements i.e., to Show or Hide an Element present in the data source to a Particular Role.
- The list permissions page will display as shown below.
- Click on Add Access button, to provide or deny the access of an element to a role.
- Start with selecting a workspace.
- The Select Role drop-down will list all the roles present in that workspace, select a role.
- You will be able to see the list of elements present in the datasource in All drop-down.
- You can show or hide an element on the access page itself, as shown below.
- Click on the save button, to save the list permissions.
- On List Permissions page, you will be able to see the saved list permission.
- Click on Next, to land on the final step of the data source building process to give the final touch by re-arranging the elements in an order according to your requirements.
- You can check the Auto refresh option to enable it, so that the listscreen will be auto refreshed for every given interval of time.
- You can re-arrange the elements present in the Columns section.
- You can adjust the column size manually according to your requirements, you can choose to fit all the data columns to the grid by enabling the Fit to Grid option. You can also allow column grouping facility by enabling the Enable Grouping option.
- Once finished with the ordering of the elements, click on Save to finish creating the data source.