An overview on data source reference
After reading this article you will know:
- What is a data source reference
- What is the use of it
- How to create it
Data source reference is one among the three different types of data sources and since it is a data source, it is also created by combining two or more data tables/app data/ both (data tables + app data).
Data source reference is used to fetch data in to an application from the data source (i.e., from multiple data tables/app data/both).
How to configure data source reference?
Note!: To configure a data source, you need to at least have data table or app data.
- On dashboard, click Admin Menu > Data base > +Create Data Source.
- On DataSource page, give a Name to the data source and select the Data Source Type as Reference.
What is Allow Grouping?
- Click Next.
- On Data Source Builder Page, You will start the process for creating a data source.
- On Data Source Builder Page, you will find two sections:
- Selected Collections
- In Collections section, platform will ask you to select the Workspace from Select Workspaces drop-down , in which the data tables/apps are stored whose data you want to collaborate and create a data source. You can select single or multiple workspaces according to your requirements.
- In Collections section, platform will also ask you to select the source of the data, i.e., data tables/apps/both from the Data From drop-down.
- According to your data tables/apps selection, you will see all the element fields which are present in the selected data tables/apps populate on the right side i.e., in the selected collection section.
- In selected collection section, you can choose & check all the element fields which you want in your data source, others can be left unchecked.
- Below to the Collections and Selected Collections sections, you will see conditions (Join & Where), these conditions are used to determine how the data in the data source should process and display the result.
- The Join condition is used to join the data tables/apps/both which you have selected to make them as one data source collaboratively. To join the data tables/apps/both you need to have at least one element field in common.
- It is mandatory to join the data tables, apps or both which you have selected in the Collections section.
- The Where condition retrieves the data from a single Data Table or multiple Data Tables with a specific condition. If it satisfies the given condition, it returns a specific value from the Data Table.
- You will find Mapped Conditions section on this page.
- This section is to give input to the data source.
- Click on the Select Collections.
- It shows the collections like data tables or apps you have selected in Data source builder collections.
- Select the collection name and click on the select Element drop-down, it will display the elements you selected from the collections.
- Select the mapped element which adds three more fields Condition Field Name, Select Compare Type and Select Condition Operator.
- If you want to add one more mapping, click on the Add button or the + button.
- Click on the Delete icon to delete the condition.
- Click on the Next.
- You will land on the next page where you can add a Static column and business rules in the data source.
- Static column: This is to add an extra field with a static value to the data source, unlike the fields which are present in the data tables/apps.
- Business Rules: If you want to set any condition on the data source, you can add business rules.
- To add a static column, click Static Column tab and click Add Column.
- Give a Name to the static column, select the column type (i.e., Text box or Number or Date etc), give a value to the static column and click Save.
- To put any condition on the data source, click Business rules tab and click Add Rule.
- You can add a Condition on a element field and configure an Action that need to be performed based on the condition.
- Click Next.
- On Order By page, You can select an element field according to which the data will be arranged and you can also select whether the data need to be arranged in ascending or descending order.
- You can also re-arrange the columns according to your requirement.
- Click Save to finish the data source creation.
- Data source will save, and a success toaster message Data Source saved successfully displays on the screen.
- If you change the label name of the app which is used in the Reference Type data source of, it will not break the existing Reference Data Source.
- The Reference Data Source will reflect the changed label name without breaking them
Refer to the video below to get a visual understanding on the data source reference.