An overview of how to create a data table Get function
Get function enables the data table to push its data into an application.
Create a Get Function
- Go to the main dashboard and click Admin Menu > Database > Data Tables.
- You will land on the Data Tables List page.
- Choose a data table for which you want to create data table functions and click Manage Functions corresponding to that particular data table.
- You will land on the Data Table Functions page.
- Click on the Add New Function button.
- You will land on the Add Data Table Function page.
- Select the Get radio button.
- Provide a valid name to the Get function in the Name text box field.
- You will see three radio buttons below the name field. Each radio button have their own functionality.
- Individual: System will load all the values in input fields without maintaining any dependency from one input field to the other. You will be able to choose values in all the input fields to get the desired output values.
- Cascade: Select this option if you want multiple input fields. The functionality of this option is that, platform will load the next input field by filtering its values based on preceding input value you select. You can choose input values in the same sequence as defined while creating the Get Function.
For example: If you have Continent (this will contain the list of all the continents in the world), Country (this will contain the list of all the countries in the world), and State (this will contain the list of all the states in the world) as 3 input fields in a sequence.
If you select a value (i.e., Asia) in the Continent input field, the Country input field will load and it will display all the countries in the Asia continent (i.e., India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, so on).
If you select a value (i.e., India) in the Country input field, the State input Field will load and it will display all the states present in India.
- Anyone: Select this option if you want multiple input fields. The functionality of this option is that, system will fetch output values even if you choose a value for any one of the input fields.
- Select a radio button preference on how to get the data from the data table into the application.
- Output Type drop-down defines the structure of the output data; select an option from the drop-down.
- List: It retrieves the data from the data table in the form of a list (i.e., grid), refer to the image below.
- Single: It retrieves the data from the data table as single element fields, refer to the image below.
If you select Output Type as List, the following fields will display on the screen.
- Get Unique Records: When checked, it displays unique records associated with that particular element field without duplicates.
- Order by Section: To order (Ascending or Descending) the element fields according to your requirements.
- Click on the Output Elements drop-down, and it will show a list of element fields present in the data table; select the element field that you want as output.
- Click on the Input Functions It contains the list of element fields present in the data table.
- The element field that you select will act as a Reference Element to the Data Table, and it will retrieve data associated with that element field.
Example: If you select Employee ID as input, data (i.e., employee name, phone number, etc) related to that employee id will be fetched as output.
- Once you select the input value, you will see the Mapping and Condition fields display on the screen. These fields are to map and set the condition for the input element/mapped element, respectively.
- Click on the Mapping drop-down, and it will show two values Mapped and Static.
- You can map the element to a condition, or you can set a static value to the element field that needs to be displayed.
- Click on Condition drop-down, and it will show you the below-given values.
- Contains: If the element field contains a value, then the condition becomes true.
- Not Contains: If the element field does not contain any value, then the condition becomes true.
- Equal: If the element field value is equal to the selected field value, then the condition becomes true.
- Not Equal: If the element field value does not equal to the selected field value, then the condition becomes true.
- Starts With: If the element field value starts with the selected field value, then the condition becomes true.
- Ends With: If the element field value ends with the selected field value, then the condition becomes True.
- Set the Input function condition for the element field based on your requirement, i.e., Based on what condition you want to get the data from the data table.
- Click on the Submit button to save the Data function.
- The new data function will be visible added in the Data Table Function page list.
To get a visual understanding on how the Get functions work in Quixy, refer to the video below.